Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Brightling by B.B. Aspen

 Brightling by B.B. Aspen 


My Rating: 🟊🟊🟊🟊🟊
Spice Rating: 🌢🌢🌢🌢


Blurb:


Blood has been stolen.
Bonds have been broken.
Brightlings are fading & hidden.
Darklings are unsated & starved.
The Stars no longer shine for guidance,
they burn with vengeance.




My Review:


This was an exceptional book. The opening world building made me unsure at first, but once I settled in, I could not stop reading. The characters are beautifully written, each with rich, distinct histories. I especially appreciated the thoughtful genderfluid representation. The FMC is flawed, frustrating, brave, loyal, and incredibly resilient, and the family dynamic among partners of multiple gender identities is presented simply and naturally as family. Well done.

Overall, I loved the characters, the spice, and the meaningful bonds between them. I would absolutely recommend it to a friend.

Brightling is a dark, spicy, emotional standalone that took a little time to pull me in because of the heavier opening world building, but once the story found its rhythm, I was fully invested. The characters are the highlight, with each Darkling adding a distinct personality and dynamic. Danika is a flawed but resilient FMC whose past, relationships, and healing journey drive much of the story.

Dark romance readers will find plenty to enjoy, including tension, banter, revenge, found family, diverse representation, and spice. I especially appreciated that the relationships go beyond the physical, with loyalty, forgiveness, consent, and healing woven throughout.

The standalone format is another big plus because the story feels complete without waiting for another book. Dark, filthy, emotional, and slightly unhinged, Brightling delivers.

I will be buying the physical copy for my trophy shelves!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Ashen Souls by Anastacia V. Davis

 Ashen Souls by Anastacia V. Davis  My Rating: 🟊🟊🟊🟊 Spice Rating: 🌢🌢🌢 Blurb:  "Because you are mine, Patches. You always have be...