Dream On
by Jennifer Hartmann
Blurb:
Lexington Hall and I were never supposed to collide—he, the golden boy of Hollywood, and me, a small-town dreamer with stars in my eyes. But when we shared the stage in our high school musical, something ignited.
Then, just as quickly, it all fell apart, leaving my dreams in pieces.
Now, four years later, Lex is a household name, turning our past into a television sensation. He's spun our story for the world to see, while I'm still haunted by what we lost.
With millions obsessed over the "real" Stevie St. James, Lex reappears with an offer too tempting to turn a fake romance to keep the buzz alive, in exchange for the financial freedom I desperately need.
I convince myself I can play the part. But as old feelings resurface and new risks emerge, the line between fiction and reality begins to blur.
Dreams are easy to chase—but falling for the guy who shattered mine could cost me everything.
My Review:
Let me start this review with a confession
and a warning all rolled into one. I am absolutely, completely, and without any
shame whatsoever obsessed with everything Jennifer Hartmann writes. I do not
know what she puts in these books. I genuinely cannot explain it. Some kind of
literary witchcraft, some secret ingredient that she sprinkles into every
single page that makes it completely impossible to walk away unscathed. She
reaches directly into your chest, wraps her hand around your heart, and rips it
clean out. And then, while you are sitting there devastated and wrecked and
wondering how you will ever recover, she smiles, hands you another book with
just as much trauma packed inside it, and you take it. Every single time you
take it. Because you cannot help yourself. Because she is just that good.
So when I tell you that Dream On felt
slightly different from her usual gut punch of destruction, please understand
that I mean that in the most relative way possible. Compared to the emotional
demolition derby that Jennifer Hartmann usually puts me through, this one had a
softer edge to it. This was a summer read through and through. It was warm and
it was full of feeling and it wrapped around you like a breeze on a long
afternoon rather than knocking you completely off your feet. But do not for one
single second think that means it did not deliver the feels, because it
absolutely did. Jennifer Hartmann is constitutionally incapable of writing
something that does not make you feel deeply. It is simply not in her DNA.
What she does better than almost any other
author I have ever read is write trauma in a way that feels devastatingly real.
Not performative, not dramatic for the sake of drama, but genuinely, achingly
human. When you are inside one of her stories you do not feel like a reader
sitting at a safe distance. You feel like you have been transported directly
into the heart of it. You feel what her characters feel in your own chest, in
your own bones. I am completely serious when I say that her characters feel real
to me. I do not know where they exist in the universe but I think about them
and I genuinely hope they are okay. I hope they are out there somewhere healing
and finding their way. That is the kind of writing Jennifer Hartmann does. She
makes you care on a level that defies the fact that these are fictional people
on a printed page.
Dream On follows two people who could not
have come from more different worlds. Different backgrounds, different
upbringings, different ways of moving through life and processing pain. And yet
fate, or the universe, or whatever name you want to give to that invisible
force that pulls people together when they need each other most, throws them
into the same orbit. One of them is carrying so much agony that they have shut
down almost entirely, built walls so high and so thick that the light can
barely get through. And the other one refuses to look away. The other one shows
up, stays present, and slowly, tenderly shows what love and healing could
actually look like if you are brave enough to let them in.
And just when you think you can see where
this is going, just when your heart starts to feel the tiniest bit safe,
something tragic happens. They grow apart. The distance between them becomes
something neither of them knows how to cross. And you sit there with the book
in your hands feeling the loss of it as if it happened to someone you actually
know.
But this is Jennifer Hartmann, and she does
not leave you in the rubble forever. They find each other again. And when they
do, everything is different. They are different. Changed by time and pain and
everything that happened in between. And yet somehow, underneath all of it,
they are exactly the same. The same two people who found each other once and
could not stay away for long.
I was heartbroken reading this. I cried ugly
tears, the kind that sneak up on you and refuse to be dignified about it. And I
loved every single second of it.


No comments:
Post a Comment